Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 17, 2012

(Diabetes Blog Week) Fantasy Diabetes Device.

Today's prompt really sets up some ideas: Today let’s tackle an idea inspired by Bennet of Your Diabetes May Vary. Tell us what your Fantasy Diabetes Device would be? Think of your dream blood glucose checker, delivery system for insulin or other meds, magic carb counter, etc. etc. etc. The sky is the limit – what would you love to see?

I love my pump. I don't think I would change anything about it, especially now that it's sherlock-tuned. But my meter...
I don't like my meter. At all. I use it because it links with the pump and that's a useful feature, but I really want to use a different one - without having to log all my blood sugars, because a computer printout is easy, if not to understand.

So here's what I would want in a perfect-world meter...
  • Colour. Like the pump, I would love it to be colourful, because silver is drab.
  • Contrast. The screen on my meter is like an old-fashioned digital clock. I can't read it in the dark, sometimes not even after I turn on the in-screen light. (The new ping meter has a contrast screen, but I can't get that one for another few years).
  • Light. At the end of the meter, where the strip goes. So that I could check in the dark without having to blind myself with the big light.
  • Size. My meter is huge - it's bigger than my pump. And while I appreciate all that it does, I wish it could be smaller. Like my old AccuChek Aviva - that was tiny. And cute. I like that.
  • Cooler case. Other than black. Like the pump cases. Also one that could be inconspicuous, maybe that I could clip to my hip when I don't want to carry a purse.
  • Accuracy. Because sometimes, I don't believe my meter.
  • Although this might be stretching it a bit: A message feature, so I could for example ask my friend if she has juice. That would be cool.
  • Options for sound. Like the option to stop the beeps (and maybe replace it with something more fun? Like it could sing Sherlock every time I checked...)
  • A pager. A tiny little pager inside it, so that I could just press a pump button and I would be able to find it. (Actually, everything in my life needs one of these.)
  • Connection to the pump. Not for bolus - although that is useful - but for blood sugar reports. Right now I can plug in my pump and everything comes up.
That is my dream meter. Everybody talks about accuracy being the first thing on their list, and I guess that's important, but please don't think of me in a bad way when I say colour comes close to the top. I want my meter to look good because when it's pretty, I enjoy using it. (I'm not as shallow as this makes me sounds. Promise.) But I figure, if I have to live with this thing anyway, it might as well look good.

But I guess I'll continue using the one I have. For now. Although lately my eye has been caught by the IBGstar and the VerioIQ - anyone know anything about these?

2 comments:

  1. Hay, I read your article and i like your way of talking. I hope you get those things in the way you are wishing. Well i think if your pump is working well then it is a good thing. But can ask for colourful devices. i hope you get one of them.

    ReplyDelete