Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

D-Blog Week: We, the undersigned.

Recently various petitions have been circulating the Diabetes Online Community, so today let’s pretend to write our own. Tell us who you would write the petition to – a person, an organization, even an object (animate or inanimate) - get creative!! What are you trying to change and what have you experienced that makes you want this change?

I've found myself signing lots of petitions lately - whether it's for an extended version of Les Mis or to not sexualize Merida. If I were to petition to change something...well...

I'd really like to get Dexcom (or a CGM that'll link with Animas) up here (in the backwoods of Canada XD), but I'm sure someone's working on that.
I'd REALLY like an Animas Vibe, but they're only in England ATM.
I'd like to change people's misconceptions about diabetes, but I don't think a petition would help that.
You know what? I'd like a diabetic role model. I mean, I have role models, and I have diabetes role models, but I'd like someone bigger - like a disney princess. A famous movie character. Someone who can show the world what diabetes is, how much it doesn't change us, and someone that diabetics and non-diabetics alike can look up to.
If I were to write a petition, I think I'd find myself writing to Disney to ask for a diabetic princess. Or prince. Or monster ('cause WHO ELSE IS EXCITED FOR MONSTERS UNIVERISTY?!?!)
I want this because of many reasons, but one of those is that newly diagnosed have very few role models. They might not know much about diabetes. I know that I didn't know any diabetics until at least eight months in. We need someone to show us how okay diabetes is, and we need someone who can teach everyone about diabetes without having to TEACH them. Merida (from Brave, only my favouritest movie ever) (Well, I think it must be tied with Les Mis) made me proud to be female. (And since we're on the subject of petitons, PLEASE go sign the aforementioned one.) She made me realize how important and great it is to be independent, strong, and individual.
We, the undersigned, need someone to show us how great it is to be diabetic.

I actually haven't heard anything about these petitions floating around - I know there's one about a name change, but what else? Anyone know? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment