Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

D-Blog week: Poetry Tuesday

This year, Diabetes Blog Week and TuDiabetes are teaming up to bring out the poet in you! Write a poem, rhyme, ballad, haiku, or any other form of poetry about diabetes. 


Poetry time! Aw yeah!
This one was dashed off in Physics class, so don't judge me :)


Prick the finger


(Prick again)
The drop of blood appears
Squeeze to make it big enough.
BEEP, the meter's ready
Smush the drop up to the strip
Hope they like each other
Please let that be enough,
Avoid the error message...
Yes! It took!
Now counting down
Five seconds of stress and worry
High? Low? Insulin working?
Wait - did I wash my hands?
BEEP again
The number's up
Close eyes and 
Take a peek...
Phew! 5.3
What a perfect number
Blood sugar induced stress
All gone.

Here's some old stuff, because why not?

Crying, crying
Not knowing what to do
Alone, alone
So small in a big world
Scared, so scared
Not knowing how to feel
Questioning, questioning
What to do, what to say, why me?
Sad, so sad
Fragile as glass
Angry, angry
Why me? Why me?
Depressed, depressed
Just want it to go and stay away
Convinced, convinced
will live my life and I'll be just fine
Knowing, knowing
That nothing will ever get in my way.



Sometimes...
I wish that I had never been diagnosed with diabetes.
But then...
I realize that I wouldn't be who I am today without it. 

Sometimes...
I wish that I had never got my Little Buddy.
But then...
I realize that I would still have to take needles everyday.

Sometimes...
I wish that I knew more people with diabetes.
But then...
I realize that I wouldn't find as much comfort in talking to the people that I do know (but talk to rarely) who have diabetes.

Sometimes...
I get overwhelmed by the enormity of this disease.
But then...
I talk to one person, or read one person's blog post, or watch one person's video, and I realize that I am not alone.

Sometimes...
I wish I were still who I was before diabetes.
But then...
I realize that I wouldn't be me now.



I have 
DIABETES.
No, I am not diabetic, I have diabetes.
Does this change me?
YES.
It makes me more responsible, respectful and caring as a person.
It has taught me to see the silver lining in all things, no matter how bad they may be.
It has taught me to smile, whatever the outlook; that's the only way I can avoid the heavy sadnes.
And so I thank it for all these things.
It's accented my individuality and made me more of my own person.
And yeah, it's a pain sometimes.
But you know, I just wouldn't be the same without it. 
Thank you, diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment